The Dan Band

I went to Vancouver this weekend to check out The Dan Band. They were awesome.

Here’s how my weekend went down:

I caught the 1pm ferry over to Vancouver on Friday, arriving around 2:45pm. I ate at the Pacific Buffet on the way, as I was quite hungry and really, how often do I get to take the ferry these days? So, an excellent lunch and then it was off to Kevin’s house.

Kevin was having his Birthday BBQ that night so this was good timing all around. Map Quest failed me on the directions as it seems to have real trouble with the street connecting to Kevin and Jenn’s for some reason. It’s weird, it gets really screwed up. It will call left turns rights, and vice versa, but only on the one street. Very odd.

Anyway, directional mishap aside it all went very smoothly. The bbq was a good time, we all sat around talking and watching Futurama and eating. Kevin and Jenn were heading off to Oregon the next day but were kind enough to let me stay. I spent Saturday pretty much camped out at their place as I didn’t much feel like trying my hand at not getting lost. I’m not very familiar with Port Moody.

Evening rolled around and it was time to head to the Commodore Ballroom for the show. On my way I passed Playland, and now I’m kicking myself because I could have spent the day at Playland having fun and not gotten lost. Live and learn.

I had to drive almost the entire length of Hastings street to reach the venue. Wow. Hastings street is the most terrible thing ever. It’s like driving through the set of a post apocalyptic movie. It’s like driving through the set of Judge Dredd. Terrible and depressing, with no hilarious Stallone moments to lighten the burden. It’s this kind of thing that reminds me why I stay on the Island. There are places around Vancouver that are beautiful, but Vancouver itself is a total pit.I honestly feel much safer in downtown Seattle at night than I do in Vancouver.

The Commodore Ballroom is quite the venue. I’d never been there before and I was reasonably impressed. I’d like to see more shows there. Dragonforce is coming to the Commodore in September, and that would be some funny shit right there. Alas, money and common sense will keep me from that show.

I spent the evening watching the drunk clubbers making total asses of themselves while we waited for the show to start. Highly entertaining and tragic. At times almost painfully embarrassing. I can think of at least one person I wish had been there with me. She would have been laughing her ass off.

The opening act was pretty abysmal. Not very funny, but bless him he tried. There was a drunk crass club chick in the crowd who took it upon herself to heckle this poor guy, chanting “Dan Band” loudly and obnoxiously and failing to realize she was becoming the centre of disdain and ridicule amongst the rest of us. She went so far as to splash her drink at the guy during his last song. That was over the line for me, the heckling was annoying, but that’s the kind of behaviour that should get her ejected from the venue. A little respect huh?

So the show finally starts and I’m pretty much right against the stage. it was awesome. here’s a pic:


They opened with Mama Mia and followed it up with Janet Jackson’s Nasty Boys. I was laughing so hard I was practically crying. They covered Shoop and mighty good man by Salt N Pepa, Dan sang Hold on for one more day directly to me which ruled. They did all their standards that you can find on youtube, and a hilarious rendition of Single Ladies with the actual video playing in the background against their “awesome” choreography.

It was a great evening. I haven’t laughed that hard in ages. Wish I coulda shared it with someone, but such is life.

I drove home along Hastings once again, It wasn’t as terrible on the way back, mostly because it was late and all the human wreckage that had been swarming over the street on my drive in had retreated to wherever it is that they go. I stopped at a questionable McDonalds to get some dinner as I hadn’t managed to eat that day, there was a failed attempt at cooking bratwurst earlier in the day… I’ll just leave it at that.

I got back around 1:30am or so, made preparations for the morning and went to sleep. 5:30am arrived to quickly and I grabbed my gear, locked up the place and headed to the ferry. It was a quick drive that early in the am and I managed to catch the 7am ferry. I slept the whole trip and was back at my place by around 9:15am. And then I went to sleep again until 11am when I had to drag my sorry ass out of bed because my presence was required at work.

All in all, a successful weekend.


~ by Pagz on June 28, 2009.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: